Are you planning a trip?
Well, the last thing I want you to worry about is your home. So here are some tips that will help to keep your home safe and secure while you're away. In fact, you might want to stick this letter on your fridge door.
- Have a trusted friend drop by occasionally to make sure everything is okay. Ask him or her to clear away flyers from the front door.
- Set automatic timers to turn lights on and off at strategic times during the day.
- Avoid an overstuffed mailbox. Arrange to have newspaper subscriptions and mail stopped for the duration of your vacation.
- Keep curtains open. For obvious reasons, thieves don't want to be seen inside a house, and are reluctant to close curtains because that might draw attention.
- Be careful who you talk to about your vacation. Don't announce your trip on a social media site like Twitter or Facebook.
And, of course, don't forget to lock your doors when you leave!