Are you ready for summer in your new home? We all know that summer brings to mind relaxation, vacation, and rest-but we also know that it can get hot! I thought you might like to have a few tips on keeping cool in the upcoming summer, so that you can enjoy life to the fullest in your beautiful new house.
COOL-DOWN TRICKS FOR THE HOT SUMMER MONTHS
1. Spin it: Ceiling fans are an excellent way to keep everyone cool, and they're beautiful as well. But did you know that they can also help you save on your energy bill? By circulating cool air throughout your home, you won't need to keep the thermostat set as low as you would without the help of one, two or more well-placed fans.
2. Green is good: There's no debating how refreshing a large patch of shade can be on a hot summer day...so why not invest in some shade of your own? Planting trees is an excellent way to ensure shade and to keep your house cool in the warmer months. Already have some? Make the most of the summer foliage by relaxing beneath a large tree and sipping some cool lemonade.
3. Clear as a bell: Window manufacturing and supply companies now offer an invisible way to keep you cool: by installing a transparent coating to windows that effectively blocks heat. Adding this type of treatment to your sunniest windows is a smart and easy way to save a few dollars on your energy bill.
4. Program and relax: If you have a programmable thermostat but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it, now's the time. Setting your thermostat to regulate the temperature of your house and maintaining an average temperature can save you a lot of money. Can't find the instructions? Most manufacturers provide free, downloadable guides via the Internet.
5. Block it out: Room-darkening blinds can reflect a great deal of sun and heat, so keep them closed during the morning and afternoon hours to keep things cool inside!