Preventing burglaries requires more than locks and alarms
There's no doubt about it. If you want to keep your home safe from break-ins, you should have good locks an all doors and windows. An alarm system is also a good idea.
But home security doesn't end with locks and alarms. There are other less obvious ways to keep your home safe. For example:
- Install exterior lights with a motion detection feature. A light suddenly going on will almost always send a potential intruder away.
- Look for – and if possible eliminate – spots around your property where someone can hide.
- Always have some lights on in your home when you're away for an evening.
- Never announce that you're on vacation or otherwise away from your home on social media sites. (Also ask your kids not to do this!)
- Don't leave tempting valuables where they can be easily seen through a window.
In addition to good locking systems on doors and windows, simple precautions like these will significantly lower the risk of a break-in.